- What are the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
American Scene Awards are bestowed on those union productions that most intelligently and progressively employ the talents of people of color, people with disabilities, women, seniors, people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer and other misrepresented or under-represented groups resulting in the realistic portrayal of the American Scene.
The three (3) awards—the American Scene Award in Entertainment, the American Scene Award in Music & Sound Recordings, and the Belva Davis American Scene Award in News & Broadcast—are collectively known as the SAG-AFTRA American Scene Awards.
The recipients of these awards are producers whose projects exemplify our collective commitment to the employment of our diverse union membership in the following three (3) categories: Entertainment, Music & Sound Recordings, and News & Broadcast.
Eligible projects are seen and heard in movie theaters, through streaming, television and radio, on sound recordings and the internet. Eligible projects employ SAG-AFTRA members as actors, announcers, broadcast journalists, dancers, dj’s, news writers, news directors, program hosts, puppeteers, recording artists, singers, stunt performers, voiceover artists and other media professionals.
- How many awards are given at the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
The recipients of the three (3) awards will be producers whose projects exemplify their commitment to employment of our diverse union membership in the following three (3) categories:
- The American Scene Award in Entertainment
- The American Scene Award in Music & Sound Recordings
- The Belva Davis American Scene Award in News & Broadcast
- How can I nominate a project for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
American Scene Awards submissions are 100% paperless.
In order to continue our commitment to the environment, we are accepting submissions via the nomination form
Be sure that all spelling, contact information company/distribution information is correct. Please also confirm the awards category in which you are submitting. Information listed on your submission will be used by the SAG- AFTRA American Scene Awards for balloting and nominations.
Submissions will be accepted through Sunday, July 25, 5p.m. PT.
It is very important that you verify your submissions. Please confirm that the category, spelling and all other information is correct. Please also confirm the awards category in which you are submitting. Information listed on your submission will be used by the SAG- AFTRA American Scene Awards selection group for balloting and nominations.
We will contact you with any questions regarding your submission. You will receive confirmation once your submission has been processed.
- What materials are needed when nominating a project for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
No additional materials required other than completion of the nomination form.
*Any DVD or digital screener provided for consideration must include a closed captioning or subtitling option.*
- Is there a submission fee to nominate a project for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
There is no submission fee.
- How many projects can I nominate for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
As many as you feel meet the criteria
- If a project is currently airing but began its run before the eligibility period, can it be considered for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
- Can I nominate a project for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS that I am in?
- Who is excluded from consideration for the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS?
- Project must have been produced under a SAG-AFTRA contract.
- Project must have “aired” after April 30, 2019 and before May 1, 2021.
- Representative from the Project must be willing and available to pre-tape an acceptance speech that will be presented at the virtual awards presentation at the SAG-AFTRA National Convention taking place October 16-18, 2021.
- How are winners of the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS notified?
Winners will be notified by the week of August 30. Winners must confirm acceptance of their American Scene Award no later than September 17 and agree to provide photos, video clips and some form of a taped acceptance of the Award for the virtual awards presentation to take place at the SAG-AFTRA National Convention, Oct. 16-18, 2021.
- How and where are the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS presented?
SAG-AFTRA will present the American Scene Awards during its virtual National Convention taking place October 16-18, 2021 in a virtual awards presentation.
- My question isn’t on this list! How can I contact the AMERICAN SCENE AWARDS office?
If, after reading through this FAQ, you still have questions, please email us Joe.Petrovich@sagaftra.org or call 323.549.6723.